Ward Chapel A.M.E. Church of Cairo

Location

Cairo, IL

Status

Ongoing

Partners

The Cairo Historical Preservation Project, Inc

IMG 5294
IMG 5294

The Ward Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church of Cairo, IL, played a significant role in the history of enslaved people's search for freedom through the underground railroad, and later, in the American Civil Rights movement.

Ward Chapel A.M.E. Church was organized in 1863. In 1875, Bishop Wayman of Baltimore, MD, traveled to Cairo to dedicate the church on August 19th. A fire destroyed the church in 1916, and the current church building was completed in 1918.

Preservation Futures is working with the Cairo Historical Preservation Project to nominate the Church to the National Register of Historic Places and to support the restoration of the building and the city of Cairo.